Sunday, December 19, 2010

"Stick to the basics, mom!"

.
So, lately I have been trying really hard to broaden our dinner menu. I cannot stand to cook the same old meals week after week. I have been pouring over recipe books and browsing internet sites in hopes of finding some new "slam dunk" meals. I have decided I must be a pretty bad judge of recipes based on sight only. I must not have the ability to read a recipe and determine whether the ingredients will combine to make a delicious meal. Every new recipe I have tried lately has barely been edible. I consider myself a pretty good cook but I am starting to get a little insecure in the kitchen. I have been excited for days to make this delicious Sunday meal. Christmas Cranberry Pork Roast with a side of Swiss Potatoes and Carrots. Doesn't that sound delish? Basically a pork roast cooked in a crockpot with cranberry sauce, orange juice, honey and some seasonings. Potatoes and carrots cooked with swiss cheese and cream and some seasonings. Well, both dishes came out with much disappointment. Very bland. Not so good. Connor said, "Mom, I think from now on you just need to stick to the basics!" The rest of the kids quickly agreed. I need some new basics because quite frankly, I am sick of my basics. They have been my basics for almost 20 years now. Should it really be this much trial and error to come across some new recipes? From now on I am not trying a new recipe until I have it on good authority that someone has tried it and loved it. So start sending your "slam dunks" my way!

P.S. My new dishes are cute though, aren't they?

2 comments:

Tara said...

tried Rice & Beans lately?? It seems to be working for my family. ha ha

Amy said...

I find myself in that funk...after the Holidays lets do a recipe party or something.