Thursday, December 20, 2007

"To Dog or not to Dog"

That is the question. This past week we have spent dog-sitting my mom's shiht-zu Molly. I never thought I would like a little house dog but we have thoroughly enjoyed her. My kids have been begging us for another dog ever since we put Sam to sleep. I have said that if we do ever get another dog it will be an "inside" one so we can actually play with it. I have spent hours the past few weeks on KSL classifieds and Craiglist searching for the "right" dog for us. Here is the criteria:

1. Cannot shed
2. Cannot stink
3. Cannot pee in the house (or poop)
4. Cannot bark
5. No puppies.

I have had a hard time finding one! Actually I have had to modify the list a little. I still don't want one that sheds. The stinking I think I can control with frequent trips to the groomers. I definitely want one that is house-broken. (please..I already have one in diapers and one in pull-ups!) and I would prefer one that is at least 1 year old. I am thinking after doing my research that I would want a Shihtzu (by the way..what do you call a mix between a bull-dog and a shihtzu? I'll let you figure it out. Noah has gotten a lot of mileage out of this joke!) I would also consider a cock-a-poo, a maltese poodle, a pekinese or a lahsa-apso? The problem is, Alan wants a hunting dog and aside from a lab, they are UGLY, they STINK and they SHED! The kids and I agree on wanting a little dog and as of now..it looks like we are winning the battle. What do you think? Am I crazy for wanting to take this on? or should I leave my already crazy household as it is.

p.s. I have actually been driving around with this dog on my LAP all week. I never thought I would do that. Of course I never thought I would let my kids wear Spider-Man crap either! (pictured below-zoom in!)


10 comments:

Amy said...

That picture of Molly and Connor is funny....look at Molly's face really close up ..she looks ticked! good luck with the dog searching...it's alot of work!

go boo boo said...

My first impression is...NO DOG! We did the dog and it was really difficult - but you guys do have older kids and are done with babies (I assume) so it would be a good time. Our dearest friends have just received their "pre-ordered" golden-doodle who came to them trained post-breed. Dude, that is the way to go. The dog is darling and rough and tumble and doesn't smell or pee in the house and they are still having babies. Just to share...Merry Christmas btw.

The Ringleader said...

Oh who knows...I am a dog person and I have recently threatened that Jack will be our last dog. And he is a good dog. It's just that at the end of the day, it's one more thing to take care of. Maybe with older kids it would lighten the burden. Plus, it is quite the pay off when you see your kids snuggle and put dress ups on a dog. As for the small dog, I sometimes feel the urge to kick them (except for Matisse your favorite). I tend to like the bigger dogs. But if you like to drive with one on your lap, defintely get a small one. I know you can handle a canine. You are super mom! You'll probably train it to vacuum, dust and fold laundry.

Kristen said...

annette..my 1st absolute choice is a golden-doodle! I love them! alan and i are having issues with that. also..that have to have cost serious bucks to have it pre-trained! find out would ya?

april...for the record I DONT LIKE DRIVING WITH THE DAMN DOG ON MY LAP! My mom said she likes to go for rides in the car and she somehow always ended up on my lap. i always thought i would like to kick a small dog too. but after spending a week with molly i changed my mind. i have to admit..molly left us yesterday and it has been nice to not worry about if the dog needs to be taken out or not.

Kate said...

I have mixed feelings... you know my opinion... good luck on the decision...

Brooke said...

Are you trying to hint that Matisse isn't your favorite dog anymore? I'm hurt. Ha ha! Oh, I don't know about the dog issue.
With all the money and extra care Matisse has taken lately, I'm not the right person to ask!

Thierry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thierry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Ringleader said...

Do you have a dog? I am waiting for the follow up! I haven't seen you driving around with a pooch in a matching sweater on your lap...so what was the verdict?

Kristen said...

no dog yet. it was a passion that died quickly. (on my part anyway) i am waiting for the kids to start begging again but for now their ipods are a nice distraction.