Wednesday, April 9, 2008

"Mommy...mommy!"

Recently my beloved daughter has been going through some sort of identity crisis or something. It's like she is trying to remind herself that she is my daughter and that I am her mother with her incessant use of the word "Mommy". For example, "Mommy can I have a fruit snack mommy?" or "Mommy where we going mommy?" or just the plain ole' "mommy, mommy, mommy!" I have to admit at first it was cute. Then it became just down right annoying. That is until I read this blog. This is written by a girl I went to high school with. It changed my perspective immediately. There may be a day when I will be craving to hear the word "mommy" just one last time. It may be after she is a teenager and doesn't want anything to do with me much less call me "mommy". It may be after she is grown up herself and perhaps we have a disagreement that a hug and a kiss won't make all better. Or worse, it may be after she has been taken from this earth before she is ready. Listening to General Conference this past weekend especially confirmed the advice we have been given as mothers to enjoy the moments because they are fleeting. It's hard to keep this in perspective when I am in the middle of a kicking, screaming, toy chucking tantrum like I have witnessed many times these past few weeks by my 4 year old. I am trying especially hard this week to be more patient and to realize that there will be a day (that will come sooner than I anticipate) when I will be craving to hear the word "mommy" again.

6 comments:

Amy said...

So cute! I am counting the days:)

The Ringleader said...

too true! it can't be the sweetest and most annoying sound, but at least they are calling for us. thanks for putting it back into perspective.

Amy said...

I pray every night that I'll have more patience and enjoy my children while they're young and innocent. Thanks for the reminder!

Thierry said...

So true. Good reminder!

Tara said...

Lora does that same thing as far as attaching "mommy" to the beginning AND end of her questions or sentences! and she is 9!! Thanks for the reminder to enjoy it rather than want to tape the mouth shut!

Dana Hewitt said...

What a cute picture!
I got your blog from Thierry's :)
What an adorable family you have. You are such a cute mom.