Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"40" is the new "30"?


I remember my mom telling me that even though she is 60+ she still feels like she is in her 30's until she looks in the mirror. (Although she looks great for her sixties!) I also remember when I was a teenager thinking 40 was SO middle-aged! I looked at my mom when she was in her 40's thinking (although she was pretty) she looked so "like a mother". It's amazing and scarey how time passes by and yet we don't feel any different. Will we still feel young and the same even when we are in our 70's and 80's? If so, how frustrating will it be to see our bodies much older than our spirits? I am contemplating these things lately as my own sister turned 4o just a few days ago. Being only two years younger, it makes me realize how quickly that day is approaching for me. As my 20 year high school reunion is being celebrated this summer, it brings me back to my high school days and I honestly don't feel much older. I recall being at my 10 year reunion thinking "oh wow! what will all be like at our 20th? That will be the biggy!" Well, here it is and I still don't feel any different. Yes, I have matured (hopefully) and I have aged a little. I have become a bit more "saggy" in areas and have noticed several gray hairs (thank goodness for coloring) but I still feel young. Have we become more "hip" so to speak? Do we dress more youthful than our parents did at our age? Are our haircuts the same as most of the teenagers so therefore doesn't separate the "young" from the "mature"? Are our anti-aging products better? Or maybe I am looking through "rose-colored glasses" and don't look as young as I think I do. All I know is I look at my sister who is now a "middle-aged" mother of five with a son in college and I think she looks pretty darn good!

3 comments:

Thierry said...

I have been thinking the same things lately... this kid working at jamba juice called me "Ma'am" the other day and I about died! I'm only 25, but I remember being his age and thinking 25 year olds were SO OLD!
I just gotta say, I hope I look as good as you and your sister when I'm 40! :)

Brooke said...

You and Tera are gorgeous! I think we look pretty hip for middle aged moms. I think that I care more about fashion than my mom did. (but I also thought that thirty was the same as one hundred, maybe she did dress mom chic?) I just remember my young women't leaders always seemed old. I think most of them were my age or younger!

Tara said...

it has been a bit of a strange feeling being 40 for a week now....I am still waiting to feel "mature". Thanks for the sweet compliment Brooke.