Monday, September 24, 2007

Chiroptophobia aka Fear of Bats!!!



Many of us have developed phobias over they years. I have a small fear of heights but not enough to consider it a phobia. I do however have a fear of BATS! Let me explain where this fear originated from. Growing up in Michigan, we lived in several different homes. My mom apparently had a "phobia" of staying in the same house too long. Well, we finally settled down in an old and rather large home set on a wonderful street that was just two blocks from town. I especially liked it because it was only a few houses down from my boyfriend's house. Well, this quickly became another home remodeling project as did most of our previous homes. My mom has an incredible talent of turning anything into something beautiful. This home actually had a lot of potential and it wasn't long before it became an amazing place to live. (except for the bats that is!) There were four stories to this house and the 4th consisted of two bedrooms and a large attic type storage room. (if I remember correctly). Tara and I quickly turned this level of the home into our own "private quarters". We each had a darling room with a little nook where we put our beds. Well, these little "nooks" soon became my place of terror. I spent night after night lying in bed hearing bats fluttering and screeching in my wall behind my bed. My parents finally took action and hired an exterminator. He found hundreds of them in the attic hanging like clusters of grapes. (am I exaggerating Tara? I don't think so!) He got rid of them. However, several of them were forced into the rest of the house and it wan't uncommon to have a bat dart above your head every now and again. So tell me this, do I have reason to have "Chiroptophobia"?

6 comments:

Tara said...

no you are not exagerating! Remember, dad started sleeping with the tennis racket under his bed so when he heard our muffles screams from under our covers, he would come running and swinging! I came home from a date several times with one hanging upside down in the doorwell of my room!! Freaky!!!

Amy said...

I also remember that! I hated that house because of those damn bats. I am so...freaked out of them because of that house.....cute blog

Brooke said...

Yuck! I feel for you, though I have never had the experience of living with bats. What an experience!

Tausha said...

We stayed in a cabin every summer growing up that had bats. I remember my dad and his buddy would get out the shotgun at night and shoot at them over our heads while we slept (yeah right). One would shoot and the other would run around with an open diaper to catch the critter. Yuck!

Kate said...

I love your blog! That is really yucky...

go boo boo said...

yes! you have every right to be chiroptophobia!