Monday, October 8, 2007

What's on YOUR dinner plate?


With the cool weather upon us, I am anxious to get back into my routine of cooking. There is nothing worse for me than to look at the clock, realize it's 5pm and I have NO idea what I am going to make for dinner! For those of you who know me well, know that I am kind of a planner. I enjoy making lists each morning of what I need to do that day and TRYING to accomplish those things. Although I have to admit, the things I don't want to do almost always end up coming up again on the next day's list. Anyway, for several years now I have become pretty consistent at planning out my weekly menus. I SWEAR by this! I like to even plan when we are going to eat what depending on who will be home and what activities we have planned that night. It saves me several trips to the grocery store and in turn, saves me $$$! Well, as I started "planning" my day today, I came up with several meals that I had previously purchased the stuff for and here is what I came up with. I post this not to BOAST at my fancy dinners (which you can see they are not!) but to give you an idea of what WE eat on a given week. I am always wondering what other people eat for dinner? Do they regularly eat Hamburger Helper and Fish Sticks? or are they Chicken Marsala kind of people? I think we are somewhere in between. Dinners at the C house this week will consist of the following:
**Chicken Noodle Soup (made from leftover Rotisserie Chicken from Costco)
**French Dip Sandwiches
**Creamy Pesto Pasta w/Chicken (Knorr's seasoning packet--very yummy!)
**Chili and Cheese Baked Potatoes (leftover chili from conference sunday)
**Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup (Noah's favorite and total copout dinner)
**Beef Enchiladas
As you can see, we are not too fancy at our house but the ultimate goal is to get everyone fed and to hopefully "sit down together for family dinner" as Elder Dallin H. Oaks pointed out the importance of in conference. Do you remember the statistics he gave-something like 40% of kids who regularly sit down and eat family dinner, stay away from drugs and alcohol. (something like that.) This just reinforced to me how important this really is. I love to get ideas and suggestions for new meals and something about the fall weather really gets me excited to start cooking nice meals again for my family so do you mind letting me know "What's on Your dinner plate?"

11 comments:

Amy said...

Your dinner plate is always "full" you have always been very good at planning and sticking with your meals. And yes, you are a scheduled person!:) I signed up to be apart of a simple dinners blog. It is just a group of people that post recipes. Lots of ideas. You have to be invited in, so if you are interested let me know and I will have my friend Jill invite you. It is kinda cool.

Kristen said...

of course i am interested!!!

Tausha said...

hey are you trying the beef enchilada's from the favorites cook book? the crock pot ones? if not you ought to! We tried them and love em! I think this week we are having beef stew, turkey vegi lasagne, sweet and sour meatballs and something else I can't remember. I am in need of crockpot recipes that don't require a lot of pre-cooking for when my kitchen is in the remodel. give me some ideas!

Jen said...

That is so great that you plan your meals so well. I always intend to, but then I think, oh, we'll just have fried eggs and toast if I can't think of something.

Squeezits are a drink in a plastic bottle that you squeeze. I bet you could see a picture of them if you googled them.

Jen said...

And we are having chicken spaghetti casserole courtesy thepioneerwoman.com at some point this week. Whatever day I feel up to it.

Kate said...

You are so awesome! I am really trying to be good about this... tonight I made Hawaiian Haystacks (and I hate to admit- they were pretty gross...) but at least I am trying! Thanks for the inpiration. I would also love to be in the simple dinners blog.. or whatever.

acte gratuit said...

Dear Kristen,
I am Mrs. Dub's sister-in-law. Can you please tell me how you got a girl for number 4? PLEASE?!?!?

We have three boys, who I really really love...but I really really want a girl next!!!!

So please tell me what you did differently the fourth time!

(I'm only half kidding.)

acte gratuit said...

P.S. I just went back and actually read your post. Since you're a menu planner (I try to be) you'll really like this blog:
This Week for Dinner:
www.weeklydinners.blogspot.com

Tara said...

wow! mRS. Dub's sister in law?? You have made it blog time now! ha ha.....that is great. I am going to go to that site she suggested also. I need help in the dinner planning area lately. It is so hard with teens coming and going. Conference re-motivated me in that dept. too though. To actually sit down and have dinner together. We only manage that about 3 times a week lately. The chicken noodle soup with Rotisserie chicken is a great idea. I might have to call you for specifics on that. Have you found any great ones in our Johnsen family cookbook yet??

Brooke said...

I agree with Tara on making it big in the blogging world! I'm impressed! I'm excited about that website. I am horrible at planning meals for the week. I usually plan what we're having between 4-5pm. Awful, I know. It seems overwhelming to me to shop for a whole week of specific meals, I'm not that organized. Now, if it were a week of desserts, no problem! Thanks for the meal ideas, I need them. We usually eat pasta, chicken and I can't think of anything else. I guess that speaks volumes for our variety. I think S would thank you the most if I started PLANNING weekly meals!

The Ringleader said...

Thanks for all of the ideas ladies. You might just make a cook out of me yet!